Monday, February 2, 2009

Poetry in Motion


What Santonio Holmes and Ben Roethlisberger pulled off last night in Super Bowl XLII is the stuff young wide receivers and quarterbacks dream of all of their lives. As a wide receiver in high school, I can remember practicing that very same reception Holmes made to clinch the Steelers’ sixth Super Bowl title.

The trick is to keep your feet “inbound” and concentrating on catching the ball, all the while being aware of the defenders! Holmes and company attempted the same play on the left-side of the field and woefully, blew it. Given the importance of scoring at that pivotal time in the game, it took a lot of chutzpah to gather oneself after that failure to come back in the very next play and run the same pattern in the opposite corner for a picture-perfect completion! Man…that is every receivers’ dream come true.

In my tweet, I admitted that I was prepared for a Steelers blow-out. I was, pleasantly, surprised to see that the Cardinals showed up to play. My heart went out to Kurt Warner who defied the odds in his serpentine and unlikely football career to wind-up in Super Bowl XLII. Steelers’ linebacker, James Harrison, initially squashed the Cardinals hopes of victory with a hundred yard interception which left him gasping and Holmes' TD was the fait accompli.

I would be remiss not to mention the importance of the young Steelers’ coach and give kudos to Mike Tomlin. I am proud of this young brother and I look forward to his long and successful career.

1 comment:

yummy411 said...

It was amazing to the receiver's feet like a ballerina keeping them "inbound"! did you have a terrible towel in the air, waving it around like you just didnt care? hahaa! i tried to help my little one experience the joy since he's half steeler. great game!