Friday, March 16, 2012

The Road We’ve Traveled



As a campaign volunteer for U.S. Senator Obama when he threw his hat into the ring as a candidate for President of the United States in 2008, I felt a lot of bumps in that road to the White House.

Although the up and coming young politician gave a rousing keynote speech at the ’06 Democratic Convention, my friends thought that the senator did not have a snow ball’s chance in hell in becoming president. Well…..

Last night, I shared the experience of viewing the 16min+ promotional documentary, “The Road We’ve Traveled”, highlighting the president’s tumultuous accomplishments in the last four years, with my youthful and bright-eyed fellow campaign workers and supporters at the Democratic National Committee Headquarters, just south of the U.S. Capital.

Before the airing, I mixed it up with the audience who looked like America. I saw black folks, whites, Hispanics, Asians, many young people and old. I spoke to a young Columbian in a wheelchair. I thought about all of the footage I see of Republican gatherings, I never see an honest representation of this country.

Our local coordinator, Kouri Marshall, introduced a leader of the Woman’s National Democratic Club who spoke passionately of the need to not allowing the Republicans to set this country back another 100 years. I am convinced that the GOP set its fate with its assault on women. Women will assure the world that the American Taliban, the GOP’s efforts, will be hermetically
sealed and given a final burial.

I wish I had a heads-up about the quality and strength of this vignette because, had I known, I would have stayed home just like I did for the inauguration. You see, I’m a big softy. I get teary-eyed when I witness the culmination in victory of all the struggles that we’ve shared. I was consoled by knowing that I was surrounded by people who are just as passionate and committed as I am to the success of this campaign.

So, check-out the link below of “The Road We’ve Traveled” and be inspired too….we’re fired up and ready to go….Obama-2012!

http://www.barackobama.com/Road-Traveled

No comments: